Thursday, August 2, 2012

Happy August!  I don's know about you, but it does not look like those of us living in Seward will not be having much of a summer.  It is only 53 and raining.  It has rained just as much this summer as last.  So does that mean our winter will be the same as last winter?  I'm not sure I want to deal with over 170 inches of snow again this coming winter.
My spring flowers are just finished blooming.  I have one entire flower bed that has not had any flowers return. My garden vegetables look like is should be the end of May.  The only thing that is growing well are my potatoes in my buckets.  I'm hoping to get enough potatoes to have at least several meals. 
My biggest project for the summer has been killing alders.  They are fierce weed/trees.  I have trimmed a lot of them from the ditch by the road.  I have some great pine trees that need to breath and straighten up.  I've also whacked down most of the alders that are growing over the drain field.  It really looks great where I've whacked.  I hope that is stops raining long enough to get all the alders whacked.
I've found a great organic weed killer online.  The ingredients are items that might make you say HUMMMMMMM!!!  
1 oz. orange oil (I've found through Amazon.  It is garden strength not an essential oil )
2 squirts liquid hand soap
1/2 gal vinegar
1/2 gal water
I used a round-up pump sprayer that I bought brand new.
When I did my first batch, I used less water.  I was very impressed at how well it worked.  If you look at the plants, you'd think I'd have used round-up.  
Watch for my next blog on my B&B season and Shaklee.

No comments:

Post a Comment